Saturday, November 15, 2008

10 things you should know about me

1. I was bullied at school. 
School days are the happiest of your life, some one once sang. That thought, when I was 14, was enough to make me suicidal.

I hated school with a passion.  

I was incarcerated at Penlan Comprehensive school in South Wales. I was an easy target, I was overweight, not sporty, and a bit of an arrogant twit. I also was completely hopeless at fighting, being a bit of a sensitive soul. 

I was bullied physically and emotionally for my entire school days. I even learned how to cough, and so took nearly a year out. Bullying continued when I got back. Only stopped when I went to college, and my time playing Rugby, weightlifting and my martial arts training finally gave me the self confidence to stop being a victim.

2. I have no emotional intelligence.
I cannot tell when someone is upset with me, or happy with me, or anything., People are a closed book to me. This is because I have Aspergers traits apparently. All I know is that up until my 30's, the reactions of those around me, good and bad, were always a surprise to me. Jacqui bless her, has learned how to cope with my oddness, and she says that she finds it "cute" Hmmmm.

3. I don't like teachers
My wife has two good friends, both teachers, I have a couple of mates in my pub quiz team, teachers, and I know (because I have met them) that most Teachers are selfless, hardworking, warmhearted individuals who love their charges. But I don't like Teachers because if there is one profesion perfectly suited to he spineless, sadistic bully, it is Teaching. I ran into a few when I was a nipper, but that is for another blog.

4. I love NFL
Being a Brit, I wasn't exposed to the American version of Rugby when I was a kid. My Bother Dessie was a running back for the Swansea Dragons, but it didn't make a dent. Then I came to NZ, and got badly sunburned over Christmas. Being NZ, there was nothing on the TV apart from college and national football. I watched 4 games and was hooked.

5. I once saved a toddler from drowning.
Perhaps the only solid contribution I have ever made to humanity. And I got covered in shit for my trouble

6. I hate bigots
As in viscerally despise all bigots. Homophobes, sexists, racists, "fattists". Before you judge, at least give someone the opportunity to piss you off. Comes from noticing that the people who bullied me, also went after the gay and black kids in school, or at least badmouthed them. Wankers.

7. I hate Political Correctness
PC often seems like bigotry given a makeover. Surely we can say what we think, and believe what we want to, and not be condemned personally for that belief? If you not agree with someone, debate, but don't make them feel that they are evil for holding a contrary viewpoint (unless that leads to direct harm: See J.S. Mill for a full exposition of the harm principle)

8. I study Philosophy
Most interesting subject known to man, and the subject most likely to make you a better person as a result of study

9. I love America
Not as it is, but the idea of America, a land of personal freedom, with justice for all and a government of the people, by the people and for the people. I am not so dumb as to think that the country as it is comes up to that high standard, but the fact that the country's aim is those principals means it has firmer foundations than 90% of the rest of the World. That includes the constitution less and undemocratic UK.

10 I am 5'7" with size 10 feet
This means that I am stable in crosswinds, and unlikely to be hit by low flying aircraft. Which is nice.

Be Good

No comments: