Sunday, May 11, 2008

The Joy of Giving....(and why tipping makes me cringe)

Hi Guys,
One of the most rewarding things you can do is giving. Whether that is time, gifts or cash, to give to a deserving cause gives me a wonderful feeling.

As an example, when I returned from the USA on Saturday, I was greeted by my 11 year old son Ieuan. Now I love this kid more than my life, and I really like making him happy. So when on this little trip I bought him a Chicago Bears jersey with Brian Urlachers name on the back, and a PSP.

I showed him the shirt, and he was chuffed, then I handed him the PSP and said, "put this over there will you kiddo?" He took it from my hand, not realising what I had given him.

Then he looked down, and I thought his face would peel off from the grin he had on his face. Honestly, he couldn't speak properly because he was smiling so much.

That is why I like giving, the reaction you get in return, the joy of knowing that someone really loves you at that moment. Its even better with Ieuan, because I know that if I didn't buy him anything, he would still love me as much. He is a little star.

Now knowing that, you think I would like tipping, but it gives me the hebbie-jeebies. You see, in my job you cannot accept gifts at all, and I would feel insulted if someone were to offer me a tip for doing my job, because my level of care and professionalism does not, and never will depend on how much cash I am paid for doing my work.

As well as this, giving a tip seems to me like bribery on my part, and begging on the part of the receiver. Now when in the UK, if I had gone out for a meal, if the service was good, and the food good, I tipped. I feel that good service deserves reward, and I am grateful for good food, but tipping is not regarded as either compulsory or even expected in the UK, so the people who received the tip were often genuinely pleased with the tip.

However in the USA, tipping is a part of the meal, just like tax. In fact in one place I went to, it was added to the bill "for my convenience". Hmm..cheeky tossers.

I do know that these guys are paid a crap wage, and they live on their tips. But I would say, charge more on the food, pay your staff better, then I will be happy to tip, knowing it is neither expected or compulsory, and the receiver of my tip knows it is a genuine expression of my appreciation, and not just a reflex action.

Of course, I tipped freely for the reason I gave above, and so that I didn't appear cheap. I am so vain.

No comments: