Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Back in the UK, part 1

Hi,
Well we have been back in NZ for 2 whole days, and I am jet lagged to hell, which is why I am writing this at 5am.

First, the flight. I got on in Auckland, and was immediately impressed by the aircraft, (an Airbus A340-500, for the plane nerds out there), and the airline (Emirates, fly them if you get the chance). I was less impressed by the whining kid that kept me awake, but there you go. You cannot get bored, at your fingertips are over 400 albums, 100 movies and numerous TV shows, all on demand. Stunning.

We stopped off at Dubai, and I have to say Dubai International is the most impressive airport I have ever been in, O'Hare was good, but the terminal looks like it was designed by an Arab Xzibit. BLING CENTRAL!

We then flew (Boeing 777, nice) to Birmingham, UK. I had a very nice Arab family sitting next to me, who had 5 kids, all impeccably behaved, when they weren't being unbelievably cute. The 2nd youngest took a shine to me, which he expressed by painting my arm with tomato sauce.

I drove from the airport to my home, which was scary, I had forgotten how crowded and fast the roads in the UK were. We arrived safe and sound.The first week was taken up by seeing the family and friends I had so missed, and it was beautiful. My nieces and my friends kids are growing so fast it is daft. I had a lovely welcome from my mates.

We were staying at my Father in laws house, and I was using his car. He has a van for his works, so it wasn't too onerous for him, but thanks all the same. My son discovered that you can view TV on demand in the UK using the BBCi player, and Dr Who, so in the 4 weeks we were there he watched every episode we could.

Well that enough for now. I will write about London, broken legs and beer next time.

Be Good

1 comment:

KiZ said...

Glad to hear your trip with Emirates was good..
Emirates are now upgrading all their Aircraft, just wait until the A380's come in, which by the way will service your region.
Fly Emirates, Keep Discovering,
cheers..

Khalid Ismail Al Zarouni